CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, October 11, 2008

"RUN!!! HALLOWEEN'S HERE!"




“Jo-Jo, I don’t think it’s a good idea to have a Halloween party for the youth” she said. “You’re promoting Witchcraft and Satan worshipping. You know, I have a good idea. Why not have a Harvest Festival Party? Kid’s would enjoy that.” I asked her what that would look like and she replied, “It’s the same thing as a Halloween party but it doesn’t promote Satanic Worship.” I said, “Oh, so it’s all in the name?” And she responded, “Pretty much. Also, having the kids dress up in something more innocent like an angel or a disciple.” All I could think was Wow. I would love to see some of the football players dress up like fat baby cherubs.

Tis the season for some Christians to flee from evil and others to be in the world. Both very biblical stances. Some teenagers will be at churches to participate in youth functions that provide a Christian alternative to Halloween while others will be putting on a mask to try and pass as a kid so they can get their share of candy. Some parents will look at youth pastors as heretics for doing an event that has the word “Halloween” in it while other parents are calling the youth pastor incompetent because the youth pastor doesn’t understand that God is bigger then Halloween. Either way, the youth pastor gets the awesome job of choosing which side the youth program is going to go.
So my stance as the Youth Director of New Hope Community Church is……………..go get tons of candy from as many houses as possible and then go into a cave and pray while you eat.

2 comments:

Keri said...

JoJo -

This post almost made me pee my pants laughing... ahh... to be a youth pastor.

Jo-Jo Spencer said...

Thx KJ Luv ya tons, dude.